Originally, Gwladys St was a school for junior mixed and infants pupils, in connection with Arnot Street. It opened in 1901. The building coast about £1,500 and could accommodate just over 1,000 pupils. The first headteacher was Aked BOOTH, who was born in Saddleworth, Yorkshire. He trained in Chester and taught in Birkenhead before moving to Arnot St, promotion and then Gwladys St. There was also a Manual Instruction Centre, teaching woodwork only, which opened in 1899.