Our Lady of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church opened in 1957, serving the community of Netherley and Valley wards, mostly from the prefabs which were about 10 years old at that time. Before the schools were built, Catholic children would start the day at the school and then walk over to Joseph Williams Primary. The Junior School (below left) opened about a year later, followed by the Infants’ School (now demolished) in 1960. The secondary school opened in 1962, closing in the early 1980s in the Catholic School reorganisation. The school building was demolished, and a new infants’ school (below right) erected on the site. The school will celebrate its 50th Birthday in Autumn 2008.